This winter, we have some delicious warm foods to keep you going and keep your body balanced. Enjoy!
Sweet Plantain Guacamole
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large brown plantain, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 3 large avocados, cut in half, pits removed
- ¼ medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped jalapeno
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add coconut oil. Once hot, add half of the garlic to the pan along with diced plantain.
- When the plantain begins to brown, sprinkle with salt and flip to brown on the other side.
- Add the water to the pan and cover to steam the plantain.
- Once the plantain is soft, remove from the heat to cool.
- Meanwhile, scoop the avocados from the skin and put in a large mixing bowl. Mash the avocado with a fork. Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Fold in the plantains. Chill in the fridge before serving. Enjoy!
Crispy Pumpkin Fries!
• 1 pie pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch fries
• 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
• 1 Tbsp. Sriracha
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray large baking sheet with oil.
3. In a mixing bowl, toss pumpkin fries, maple syrup and Sriracha until all of the fries are covered.
4. Arrange in single layer on baking sheet (no overlapping).
5. Roast for about 35 minutes (until crispy), flipping halfway through.
Mini Turkey Meatballs (Servings 4)
(make the night before)
• 454g (1 pound) lean ground turkey
• Juice and zest of ½ medium orange
• Juice and zest of ½ medium lemon
• Juice and zest of ½ medium lime
• 5g (¼ cup) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
• 15g (¼ cup) chopped fresh coriander leaves
• 5g (¼ cup) chopped fresh mint leaves
• 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for sautéing
• ¼ tsp. chili powder
• ½ tsp. kosher or fine sea salt
• ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 2 large eggs
• 3 Tbsp. ground red lentils
• 25 small skewers or picks, for serving
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine turkey with the juice and zest of the orange, lemon, and lime. Add all herbs and olive oil. Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper, and stir well.
2. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
3. The following day, take bowl out of the refrigerator, and allow turkey it come to room temperature.
4. Crack the eggs into the bowl with the turkey, add red lentils, and mix until fully combined.
5. Using your hands, make 25 golf-ball sized meatballs!
6. Heat a large sauté pan over high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil, and sauté the meatballs for 4 minutes per side, until crisp and golden.
Sriracha Roasted Garbanzos
• 14 oz. can chickpeas, (BPA-free) (drained, rinsed, and dried)
• 1 Tbsp. sriracha
• ½ Tbsp. coconut oil
• ½ Tbsp. organic natural sugar in 1tsp water
• ¼ tsp. sea salt
• ½ Tbsp. sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the sriracha, coconut oil, natural sugar, and sea salt together. Pour in the chickpeas and toss to coat the entire mixture.
4. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss again.
5. Spread the chickpeas out evenly on the baking sheet (no overlapping chickpeas!).
6. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Roast until lightly golden and crispy. Allow to cool.